Workplace injuries severely impact not only the company that a person works for but the person themselves. A serious workplace injury can complicate the rest of someone’s life. Moreover, not only will that injury impact that person but also their loved ones, family, and friends as well. In some cases, that person may require permanent disability or have limited employment because of their injury. Others may require care for the remainder of their lives.
These injuries not only put a burden on the company that person worked for but also on the person as well as their family. Therefore, investing in workplace safety is considered a highly regarded choice irrespective of costs.
Below are 10 benefits that the company obtains from implementing a rigid workplace safety program and ensuring that it is upheld at all costs:
- It Lowers Rates of Absenteeism: The rates of absenteeism plummet when the workplace is safe. People desire safety in their work environment and want to feel like they are cared for. Investing in a safe workplace has potential to substantially improve employee morale
- Working Equipment is More Productive:Equipment that is in good order and is safe for employees to use will befar more efficient in delivery and improve bottom line than equipment that is in poor repair. Keeping equipment up-to-date can ensure that employees have the tools they need to do their jobs effectively as possible.
- Safe Work Environment Helps Workers Be More Productive:If workers are confident that the machinery, equipment, materials, and supplies they have on hand to do their jobs they will be able to work more quickly. Workers that work quicker will help raise the profitability of the company. Over time, this increased productivity will far outweigh the cost of properly maintaining the machinery and equipment.
- A Safe Work Environment Will Produce a Higher Quality Product:An environment in which the machinery and equipment is in good working order will be able to produce a higher quality product no matter what industry you work in. The higher quality product can demand more money which can raise the company’s bottom line.
- A Safe Work Environment Limits Employee Insurance Claims:A safe work environment will help limit employee injuries and therefore insurance claims for injuries. The less claims the company has against them the more money they save. Not only will the company avoid paying unnecessary medical bills and workman’s comp they will also avoid increased insurance rates if they are seen as a “risk” by the insurance company.
- Incorporating Workers Ideas Helps Them Feel Valued in Safety:Your own workers do their jobs every day and are some of the best assets you have in developing a quality workplace safety program. Reach out to them and incorporate their ideas and inputs into the program. If they feel their voices are heard they are much more likely to care about the rules and safety program than if they feel that rules are just being “forced upon them” by the company.
- A Quality Safety Program Makes Customers Notice:Customers sit up and recognize any company that goes the extra mile to take good care of their employees, especially when it comes to their safety and well-being. Going the extra mile to take care of your employees can help you get and retain customers for a long time to come as it creates extra goodwill for the company.
- A Good Safety Program Drives Up Profits:Companies with a quality safety program and limited worker injuries helps limit the disruptions in day-to-day operations of people getting hurt or not being able to work because of injury. The more seamlessly the business can run the more profitable it will be.
- Protect Your Most Valuable Asset:Protecting your most valuable asset cannot have a price tag of cost vs. profit put on it. The most valuable resource you have is your workers. Remember that without your workers your company is nothing, so protect them and treat them as they are precious as they really are.
- It Saves Lives:This is no exaggeration to say that people literally die at work. The Bureau of Better Business Statistics estimates that 50,000 people die from work-related incidences. While not all of thesedeaths are preventable many of them, such as construction accidents, are very preventable. Ensuring you have a safe place to work can indeed literally save lives.
Conclusions: Workplace safety should be the top and central priority of any company looking to be the best at what they do. You can’t put a price tag on anyone’s well-being, health, and life. In the end, taking care of your employees is taking care of your business.
Spending the extra cash on the proper maintenance of the machinery, equipment, materials, and supplies you use to run your every day business will come back to help make your business more profitable.
It will also return every employee home to their family safely at the end of each day because you can’t put a price on someone’s well-being and their life.
For more information on Workplace safety matters and having more effective strategies to reduce likelihood of such issues, please contact Sustainable Certification Pty Ltd